Monday, March 9, 2009

Narcoleptic or Sleepyhead?


Narcoleptic - a person who has narcolepsy




Narcolepsy, a sleep disorder characterized by excessive daytime sleepiness and recurring unwanted episodes of sleep ("sleep attacks"). People with narcolepsy may abruptly fall asleep at almost any time, including while talking, eating, or even walking. The attacks may range from embarrassing or inconvenient to severely disabling, interfering with a person's daily life.


Source: The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia® Copyright © 2007, Columbia University Press. Licensed from Columbia University Press. All rights reserved. www.cc.columbia.edu/cu/cup/

_____________________________________________________________________


I often wonder if I have this disorder. I am the type of person who easily falls asleep anywhere and any time.


During my college days, since school was about an hour and a half away from home, I'd usually doze off during the whole jeepney ride. I would just make sure that I'm awake a few meters before the jeepney reaches the Aurora Blvd. and Katipunan intersection. Sometimes, I would study inside the jeep but eventually doze off after reading a few pages.


During my first few years as a professional, my friends and I would often have drinking sessions within the vicinity of our workplace in Ortigas. They would often tell me that at the middle of our conversation, I would just keep still and fall asleep.  They would even have to wake me up so that I could join the conversation once again.


A few years ago, the office phone rang.  My boss answered it.  The call was for me.  I was asleep at my desk.  Officemates were telling my boss to wake me up.  He refused.  When I was told about the incident, I was so embarrassed!  I still fall asleep at work until now.


Many times, I would fail to get off at my stop after commuting from my work place to my hometown.  The reason:  I was fast asleep.  There were times wherein my co-passengers had to wake me up and tell me that we were at the final stop.  Just one of the reasons why I refuse to drive. (I might kill myself )


During parties, I would sit in a corner and doze off when drunk.  In order to avoid this from happening, somebody should at least talk to me. As far as I can remember,  the worst thing I did was when I threw a party at home and I left everyone and slept in my room.


I don't know if this is already a disorder or I'm just a plain sleepyhead.  But I definitely wanna apologize to everyone whom I have victimized because of this.



5 comments:

eye_spy said...

and i am telling you... you are narcoleptic! grrr...

and if you think you are a sleepyhead you are the worst case there is. c",)

peace!

Anonymous said...

my highschool teacher was narcoleptic and trust me, her case is worse than yours. during lecture, while writing something on the board, while reading a book to us and while observing the class in an exam (tenk God). i acutally researched it right there and then because it seems comical to me, i couldn't believe that all of it was real.

so i guess, you're still lucky, hahaha.

Bloiggster said...

@eye_spy

im so sorry, you became a victim the other night. :(

Bloiggster said...

@maxwell

malala naman yon! yoko maging ganon.

. said...

Basta alam ko masa ako. Masandal tulog. For me its an advantage. Kung kinukulang ako ng sleep, meron akong reserves kasi nagagawa ko ang dalawang bagay at the same time. ie. commute and sleep. Lol.