Monday, March 23, 2009

Leaves

A new leaf will soon turn.

In my years of existence, I would have to say that I have weathered the stormiest storms. (family, school and professional problems). Unlike some of my friends, I was never born with a silver spoon. From the very day that I stepped on this planet, I had to work my butt off just to prove myself to everyone.

I was sheltered as a child. My mother was very protective of her kids when we were young. We had a routine. We wake up early for school and once we're home, school work was the priority. We had to be in bed before 7 so that we could wake up at 5am the next day. Television was only on weekends. Saturday was a very exciting day because I was allowed to watch The Saturday Fun Machine over RPN 9 the whole morning.

My mom had great expectations of me. Since kindergarten, she wanted me to excel in school. She would even go to the extent of complaining to my teachers when I was at the latter half of the honor roll. Because of the pressure, I became a consistent honor student until I graduated from high school. I was very much active in the school scene: ran for student council (but lost), wrote for the school paper, active in church activities, did catechism in a public school, school prom organizer, club officer, etc. etc. etc.

COLLEGE:

I could still remember my mom's reaction when we found out that I passed the entrance exam in UP. She was so proud of me. My dad was also excited. Of the 25 grandchildren of my mom's parents, I was only the 3rd grandchild who passed the UPCAT. (another one would follow suit). UP was a big deal in our family. I have cousins who graduated valedictorian and salutatorian but some of them never made it to UP. And there was I, a lowly honorable mention and yet, I made it to the best university in this country. It was a proud moment for me!

University life presented so many challenges. For the first time in my entire school life, I FAILED! It was such a huge embarrassment on my part. My mom was so disappointed. I didn't know how to react. Unlike other parents who force their kids to take up a course they do not want, mine allowed me to choose my own course in college provided that I do well.

After that very embarrassing failure, I decided to do better. Since I was in UP, everything did not go well smoothly but in the end, I was able to graduate on time and immediately got a job a day after my graduation.

Imagine, I got hired a day after I graduated? How's that? A lot of graduates today would dream of such luck today.

PROFESSIONAL:

Work was okay. I had a salary higher than the minimum wage. I was working in Ortigas Center. I was meeting people who were up there in the strata of society. I was learning their ways. It was pretty awesome! But at the middle of the year, I decided to quit! I was a confused yuppie who did not know what to do with his life!

I decided to work for government. Salary was meager. I was happy but I got bored eventually. Money was not enough given the distance of the presidential palace from my place of residence.

I went back to my old work. Surprisingly, they welcomed me with open arms. I stayed there for two years. I met a lot of interesting people and learned so many new things.

After experiencing work, I went back to school. But too much pressure made me quit. Was jobless for 6 months. And mom was furious at me. It was as if I failed them and myself. I had to find work. Thanks to a few college friends, I got a job and went on to work part-time for a giant TV network.

Since salary was not enough, I applied for another job. Luckily, I was accepted. It was an out of town work and was very challenging. It was my first time to be away from home but it was one hell of an experience. I had a lot firsts because of the distance from home but that's another story.

Boredom made me resign from work in spite of the good evaluation I got from my bosses. The place wasn't just for me. I went back to the big city.

Once again, I took a new job. A job that I didn't have enough experience with. I met the challenge head on and emerged victorious. I was promoted twice and was getting a salary higher than what most yuppies were getting in Ortigas or Makati. After years of service, I quit and decided to move to a far off place.

Although it's in the Philippines, I felt like an alien. I did not know the language. Life was totally different. I had no friends. The new job was great but it took me a year to adjust to the new environment. In spite of the high pay and the not so heavy work load, I decided to quit after two years.

In a few more weeks, I'll be heading back to Manila with a very bleak future. But just like in previous years, I would meet this challenge head on.

A leaf is turning and I am ready to face what's ahead...

4 comments:

the geek said...

we cannot dwell on winter...spring will ultimately come...

good luck...

Bloiggster said...

thanks, geek. =)

Anonymous said...

kapatid, masyadong heartrending ang post mo. nahipo ako. for the first time, magko comment ako sayong walang pambuburaot.

i really feel you. i know compensation-wise, cebu is the best place to work in. but ur no longer happy. folow your heart this time, and get going with what ur gut tells u.

ang pinakamatindi kasi yung pressure... lalo kapag UP grad ka. Sobrang taas ng expectations sau ng mga tao at relatives mo. Parang hindi ka pwedeng sumweldo ng mababa, at wala kang karapatang maging BUM.

etong sayo kapatid: ONE BIG FIGHT !!! (ngak para pala to kay lukayo na isang ring nag-eemo).

Ano nga pala ang pang cheer natin?

"Pen pen de chorvaloo de kemerloo de eklavoo. Hao hao de chenelyn de big uten. Fight! maroons fight!"

Bloiggster said...

Maraming salamat sa iyon aking twin rain!

i know that leaving this job is a gamble! imagine, i resigned without assurance that I will have a new one once i leave cebu?

lakas ng loob no?

pero anyways, i hope to get a new job soon.

its going to be difficult given the current situation of the global market but im still hoping to land a job in metro manila soon.

PS

Natawa ako sa cheer mo sa huling bahagi ng comment mo! hahaha! bakla ka talga!