Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Twenty Three Years After

Today is the 23rd anniversary of the People Power Revolution.  Twenty three years ago, people from all walks of life gathered in EDSA and cried for change!  The people overthrew a dictator and installed the first female president of this country.

What has happened to the Philippines after EDSA?  Have we changed as a nation?  Has government changed?  Are we far better off as compared to the Martial Law years?

I was in grade 3 when EDSA I happened.  People were expecting a lot of changes to happen.  As a nation, we were hoping that the economy of the Philippines will get better, government services will improve and people's freedom will never be curtailed once again.

I guess, only the latter happened.  We are free as a nation but the Philippines is still lagging behind its Asian neighbors.  The economy is still in dire need of financial help from rich nations. No Philippine president was able to salvage the economy of this country, not even GMA who is supposed to be an economist.  Government services are still bad.  Red tape is everywhere, from getting business permits to getting your driver's license.  Corruption in government is still rampant.

After 23 years of staging one of the most peaceful revolutions in world history, has the Philippines become a hopeless case?

With what I've been seeing (corruption and scandals plaguing our government), I still wanna believe that there is hope.  But change can only happen if every citizen in this country starts to change within.  The Philippines is NOT just the executive branch, the senate and congress, nor the judiciary! The Philippines is US:  every Juan and Maria who lives in Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao.  If we just work together as a nation, then I guess, a brighter future is in store for our children and our children's children.

I still believe that each one of us can make a difference.  We can all make a better Philippines!

May the spirit of EDSA I continue to live inside our hearts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

edsa revolution is very important to all Filipino people. Aftr that struggle please try this. Pati game ng Jollibee meron na! You can get 500pesos GC pa hehe.. try it :P http://apps.facebook.com/jollibeegameapp/