Monday, February 23, 2009

Gamay

I've been in the Visayas for more than a year now but I still have not learned to speak their language.  In a profile that I have in another website, I mentioned that people should chat with me in a language that I understand because I really don't know how to converse in Bisaya.  And sometimes, I would have to debate with people that Cebuano is a language and not a dialect. Imagine, people who live in that island still think that their language is a dialect?  Anyways, that's not what this blog is all about.  

I really don't know why I didn't learn the language.  Maybe it was because of my stubborness or I was just not interested to learn.  A few days ago, I met Lukayo.  He spent 5 weeks in Cebu for work.  And I think he knows more Bisaya than I do. How embarrassing is that!?!

But my knowledge isn't really ZERO.  I learned a few words in order to get by and survive in a culture that is somehow very anti-Metro Manila. I also have Cebuano friends from whom I learned a few words.  As they say in Bisaya, "kasabot ko pero gamay."

What words/expressions do I know in this language which is spoken by more Filipinos in the country?

I know how to count up to 10. "usa, duha, tulo, upat, lima, unom, pito, walo, siyam, napu"

I know how to pay my jeepney fare:  "bayad" or "pliti"

I know how to say please:  "palihug"

I know how to say para: "lugar lang"

I know how to ask for the price of an item: "pila ni?"

I know the different panghalip pananong in Bisaya:  what= "unsa,"  why= "nanuman,"  who= "kinsa,"   where= "asa"

I know how to say i love you:  "gihigugma kita"

I know how to say thank you:  "daghang salamat" or "salamat kaayo"

I know how to say im very tired:  "kapoy kaayo"

I know how to say big and small: "dako" and "gamay"

Hmmm... I think I still know a few words but I have to be there so that I could remember them. But for now, the words above are my survival tools in Sugbu.

Ayo ayo mga bai!

7 comments:

Luis Batchoy said...

why is nganuman.... hehehehe...
at shempre alam mo kung ano ang kayat di ba? Hehehehe

Eben said...

nice one. buti ka pa may alam na dialect. ako naturingang taga-Aklan pero hindi marunong ng aklanon. sana pala nakinig ako sa tatay ko. hehe.

Rainbow Bloggers Philippines said...

Greetings!

I am from The Rainbow Bloggers Philippines and we are inviting you to visit our website http://www.rainbowbloggers.com

This is a collective effort of several Filipino bloggers located both here in the Philippines and abroad. We feature articles such as news, events, and literary genres.

Please patronize our very own LGBT Filipino Blog. Comment on the post and feel free to express your thoughts and opinions.

If you are a blogger and you want to join our writers circle, please visit this link and register:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/embeddedform?key=pu0pmixChOwrUQ6-Ezy8nFg

the registration form is also found in our website: http://www.rainbowbloggers.com

You can also add our friendster account: rainbowbloggersphils@ymail.com

Make it a habit to visit www.rainbowbloggers.com

Thank you and have a nice day!

Yours Truly,
RBP Marketing and Membership Team
"We are more than yellow pages"

Anonymous said...

babalik ka na lang sa manila di mo pa gamay ang bisaya.

Kape Kanlaon\ said...

hahaha..it always makes me smile when I read about people writing stuff about our languag..it's just amazing to know that many people are also interested to learn the language..

nanuman? hahaha maybe it's ngano man? but it can be accepted...hehehe!

Im glad I know english, tagalog, bisaya, and hiligaynon(ilonggo)...see? I'm not that bad, really...=)

Bloiggster said...

ay mali pala yung bakit ko... hehehe ngano man pala yun. sorry po. tignan niyo, di ako talaga marunong mag bisaya! hehehe... salamat sa pagkorek sa akin luis ang lance. daghang salamat.

trying hard talaga ako! hehe

Bloiggster said...

@rain: ano ka ba! alam mo naman ang kalagayan ko sa cebu di ba? i dont have much exposure to the language when im there.